Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PSP UAE4ALL r1 - Release Thread  (Read 74192 times)

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
PSP UAE4ALL r1 - Release Thread
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

Nice, will check it out once i get home. Be interesting to see what the compatability is like with the fox FAME C core, as we have an early alpha but its not very compatible.

Nice to see another Amiga emu out there, :). More choice for everyone.

Might as well say now (was waiting for chilly to get back to me), he is close an alpha (for testing). Then the betatesters can start reporting and the emu improved from there until we are ready for a new release.

You must have been excited, as this doesnt look like a game cheat to me, ;). Im in the same boat, im in work to, wont be home til after 6 PM, :(. Also, you beat everyone to posting this, lol, cant find it on any of the usual sites.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:31:43 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
PSP UAE4ALL r1 - Alternative PSP Amiga Emu
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »

You must have been excited, as this doesnt look like a game cheat to me, ;).

Yep sorry about that. I'm at work and had 5mins to check the other site and then post the info on here. lol

Anemos

• Nothing
  • Forum Mod
  • A2000
  • =/\=
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:37:08 AM »

i test this whit fire & ice .after to 3~ min it start the game whit full speed and good sound!
after to 10 sec the game crashed and screen scrap ,and my happy going to ..  :D
Deluxe galaga also not runing..
thing not has good compatibility  ..
keep memory,s as treasure

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »

Well its sounds like its a good first effort from ttyman. ...plus its great to hear that the sound is almost perfect with the new fox FAME C core

I'm hoping Rodland works well with sound?

My prediction of good things to come emulation wise from amiga psp emu's already looks justified.  ;D

Now we've got a taste of things to come I can't wait for the official PSPUAE build. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 12:35:58 PM by baboon »

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 01:18:05 PM »

"full speed" but  "requires frameskip" ?  hmmm.

looks good though, although massively lacking on the functions, (and according to Anemos some compatibilty issues)  i'm sure this will be improved over time. i'll be giving it a proper trial later and will no doubt bring some harsh reality-checks with me as usual! (if PSPUAE has to suffer my critique, i see no reason why this shouldnt too!)

also, baboon, i altered the title. the caps were a bit excessive, and i think we'd rather think of this as an "alternative" rather than a "rival" - all Amiga emulation developments are welcomed in this camp.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:55:53 PM by Hungry Horace »
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 02:52:59 PM »

i'm probably going to get shot-down for "daring" to say anything against this emulator....

but hey you know me ;)

Speed yes it's faster than PSPUAE, but not by as much as you might think.  Try something that knowingly slows down PSPUAE and you will see what i mean. SWOS and New Zealand Story are great examples, as the former still requires some hefty (mostly above 2) frameskiping  whilst the latter remains completely unplayable from slowdown. Speedball 2 was notably improved but still jerky when things got busy. Im sure it flies on the less intensive games, although my faveourite test for this (IK+) wouldnt run. "Cult Classic" Wipe-Out played rather well, but the frame-skip was still around the 1-2 mark.

With no FPS counter, its of course hard to tell an accurate comparission between the two, but i'm pretty confident about my judgement here. Don't be expecting to play Frontier in a hurry, but you will get a better sound-to-speed quality across the overall board.

Sound, yes this is excellent. Actually this is -the- strongest point of the emulator by far, and since the source code is avaiaible perhaps Chilly and FOL should really look into what's going on here. Especially give that the sound code for all the spec's E-UAE can do should be identical. (since all Amiga's just rely on Paula)  - it does sound like sometimes it's pitched down, although perhaps the sound-code here responds by doing that when slow instead of crackling (pitch-down is a preferable side-effect if you ask me though) .... actually this seems to be a result of the throttle - which is probably just a fancy name for CPU-Chipset ratio is it not?

Compatibility, well here is an interesting one... Not perfect, but we already knew FAME/C was like that from our own tests anyway. Speedball 2 managed to completly crash the PSP on some versions, but i did find a copy that  worked,  and it's overall compatibility is still pretty good considering. Not PSPUAE standards, but pretty ok for an A500 only emulator, although IK+ not running (at least not the "most compatible" copy that i have) is pretty poor. i was plesantly surprised the SWOS career mode worked however.

Input functionality and Save-states remain completely missing, but these are the kind of things i'd expect  missing from a first release, nothing too much to worry about here providing development continues - however it does make the emualtor pretty useless to me atm without. (no bloodwych for starters) - Keyboard and joystick mapping are a "must" i'm afraid on a device like the PSP - and of course, this in turn will mean that load / save configs will be needed - i dont really see this being to difficult for the  developer to implement however.

GUI  - nice scrolling background, ugly Atari-ST looking font, and why cant i turn the music off??

A very nice proof-of-concept, and one-in-the-eye for all those who thought PSP-Amiga emulation was dead and buried. Release 2 asap please.
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

Dimahoo

• +10 Style
  • A600
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »

Ok, I do not post here very often it seems - I am more of an interested reader at the moment, but I want to make a statement here:

DO work together. This is -the- chance to finally create the near perfect portable Amiga.

Some already said it and I just want to make it clear that there should be no competition here and I know that a serious developer sees fellow coders working on similar projects as a fine oppurtunity to improve - for both ;) Im looking forward to a combination of the amazing compatibility of PSPUAE and the fluid sound of UAE4ALL. Well I do know that the coders of PSPUAE would get this right, I just hope the coders of the other project will see the possibilities, too ;)

Interesting times ahead :)

Raventyr

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:01:25 PM »

This is really interesting news, fingers crossed a collaboration might be on the way.  Also, great news that a new PSPUAE beta is on the way !  technolicious !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ MMMM Brainsss ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DamimavPL

• A600
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 06:24:12 AM »

I wait for PSPUae new release. On this emulator i run only 5 games :(((

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:11:11 PM »

I think it has something to do with the FAMEC core. As we found (thats why we never released our PSPUAE FAMEC version), its not as compatible and causes the PSP to crash randomly. I get the same problem when inserting adf's, sometimes it crashes, i reload then it works.

Sound is better, although the pitch doesnt sound right on a few games i have tried.
Resolute and Industrious

SLiVER

• A600
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »

i cant get it to work. my kickstart rom is 512.. to bad i would like to try this emu out. its nice to see 2 great amiga emus for the psp! =)

SLiVER

• A600
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »

got it to work and it works really well! it is not fullspeed or something like that but with FS 1-2 there is no slowdowns =)

i think pspuae soon should get this speed to, perhaps on the next release ;)

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »

got it to work and it works really well! it is not fullspeed or something like that but with FS 1-2 there is no slowdowns =)

i think pspuae soon should get this speed to, perhaps on the next release ;)

Only time will tell, :). We can only hope.
Resolute and Industrious

john4p

• PSPUAE Moderator
  • A600
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 07:03:16 AM »

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey