Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PSPUAE gets a new DEV!!  (Read 63751 times)

Chilly Willy

• PSPUAE DEV
  • A600
  • So much time, so little to do... NOT!
Re: PSPUAE gets a new DEV!!
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »

Nice one Chilly. I can tell you love all this coding lark, your always working on lots of stuff. Di you get your current project finished before Christmas?

The pikey stuff? We got the main changes done, but not the 3.71 support. We're still working on that. Lot's of nids/kernel functions to track down. That's one reason I like regular 3.xx apps - Sony can't change the user functions or they'd break every game out.  ;D

Haven't gotten any of the major stuff I'm working on done. Hopefully this spring I'll have those done.

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2007, 02:28:56 AM »

cant you just leave it at 3.x or 1.5?  ...  or would that cut out a huge audience? .. or something?

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »

cant you just leave it at 3.x or 1.5?  ...  or would that cut out a huge audience? .. or something?

As 1.50 is not supported in the 3.xx + kernels then everything needs to be eventually ported to the 3.xx kernel, so why not sooner than later. Finish 1.50 once and for all, then we wont be having different versions of homebrew released all the time.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Chilly Willy

• PSPUAE DEV
  • A600
  • So much time, so little to do... NOT!
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2008, 05:38:36 PM »

Well, D_A has said he's making a nid resolver for the next cfw, so that should take care of needing changes in the future. There are also no 1.5 plugins as 1.5 doesn't support plugins. Plugins were a feature that was part of 3.xx by D_A when he released the very first 3.xx cfw.

DamimavPL

• A600
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »

Idea beguile. Capability to reading in of file of hard disk can make give with (from) WinUAE. Will be some (certain) version of beta for testing but when?

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2008, 05:43:41 PM »

Idea beguile. Capability to reading in of file of hard disk can make give with (from) WinUAE. Will be some (certain) version of beta for testing but when?

When its ready, as we have already said, the new PSPUAE is being built from the ground up. Chilly is working on it, but he also does alot of other coding for the PSP community. So trying to hurry him wont help.

The important thing at the moment, is getting a new compiled E-UAE WIP4 (code PSPUAE is based on), this will not have anything fancy, it will just boot with predefined settings. So it will be an Alpha (not very usable), it will then be tested and then added to, until we are happy we have something to release.

On the HD front, it will not work in the current PSPUAE 0.63, we have tried and tried with differnet idea's. None of which worked. E-UAE WIP4 has alot of fixes for HD, so hopefully it will fix our hdf problem.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 05:46:49 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 08:54:17 AM »

Skeezix the coder of the ST emu recently posted this on dcemu:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79437&page=2

"1) CaSTaway emu is designed to be high performance, at the loss of features. ie: We dont' implement a lot of stuff, so many things do not work; however, the plus is that it runs darned fast for what works, which happens to be about 80% or so .. so in my books, it is worth it. Run well, for most things, is better than run crappy for everything

UAE on the other hand is quite comprehensive and accurate, so it is difficult to cut it down to get a lot of high performance on low end machines out of it. But also..

2) The Amiga is much harder to do well; you can cut it down tro essentiallys and a few things work really well, but by and large a high number of games require a fair amount of accuracy and supported components in the emulation, so it is harder to get performance out of an Amiga emulator.

In the end, there is UAE and few other Ami emus. No one has sat down to wrtite one that is pure speed and 'good enough', but it might not work out too well anyway.. *shrug*

I know Castaway runs very well but Is this guy talking the truth regarding that amiga emulation will never ever match his emu in performance? I hope not?  ???

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2008, 10:20:09 AM »

Thanks for the post baboon.

Castaway does run well, but we all know it doesnt have to emulate a custom chipset, UAE does, hence it makes even more harder to get it running as fast as castaway. If try the current WinUAE on a crappy old PC, say a pentium 300Mhz, you will run into the same problems as the PSP in regards to speed.

Hopefully, with the new version, utilising the ME CPU as well as the main CPU, it will help over come this. PSP is a wonderful console, as it has 2 CPU's. So who knows, full speed might be achievable.

I know people moan and whine about the sound in PSPUAE, but seriously its been the best its ever been. I think alot of people dont mess with the settings enough to get decent speeds with sound on the games they are running.
Resolute and Industrious

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

I know people moan and whine about the sound in PSPUAE, but seriously its been the best its ever been. I think alot of people dont mess with the settings enough to get decent speeds with sound on the games they are running.

sorry FOL, but i cant agree. The speed is of course the best it's been , but the sound is not.... IK+ goes silent for crying out loud!  it didnt in v0.41

it's six of one, half dozen of the other though.

edit: you'll probably have a go at me for moaning now, although i'm not.

@ Baboon - the Atari guy and FOL are both right.. Amiga Emulation is MUCH harder, primarily because of the custom chipset and the need for 68k core accuracy to keep compatibility (just look at the nightmare the FAME/C caused .... it cut PSPUAE compatibility in half!)

I've been saying this however since before this forum was even around, and Ric was skulking about on QJnet making minor revisions to pspuae.....
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:02:46 PM by Hungry Horace »
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »

Well I know given time you guys wil squeeze out as much as you can out of the psp from the ongoing tweaks and builds of pspuae. The new version incorporating the ME sounds like its going to be an excellent release once the bugs have been ironed out of its current alpha build status.

I can see 2008 being a good year for psp emulation.  ;D

Anemos

• Nothing
  • Forum Mod
  • A2000
  • =/\=
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2008, 01:49:23 PM »

prophet baboon.. i hope so  ;)
keep memory,s as treasure

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2008, 02:41:20 PM »

Well I know given time you guys wil squeeze out as much as you can out of the psp from the ongoing tweaks and builds of pspuae. The new version incorporating the ME sounds like its going to be an excellent release once the bugs have been ironed out of its current alpha build status.

As usual Horace, you have misunderstood what i ment, sound slightly better then, hows that.

Also, there is no alpha of new version yet, just need to give it time.
Resolute and Industrious

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »

As usual Horace, you have misunderstood what i ment, sound slightly better then, hows that.

yes, i misunderstood "its been the best its ever been" and should have read it as "the sound is better than it was in the previous version, but not as good as it once was, but that version was slower overall"  ::)

sorry - but you gotta see my point here, i'm -going- to misunderstand what you mean if you are going to write it as something else!

again - i'm not having a go or moaning! (i know a lot of people like to take anything i say as a scathing attack) just pointing out what you said.

Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

john4p

• PSPUAE4ALL DEV
  • A600
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2008, 03:40:09 PM »

Quote from: skeezix
In the end, there is UAE and few other Ami emus. No one has sat down to wrtite one that is pure speed and 'good enough', but it might not work out too well anyway.. *shrug*
Well, there is FELLOW.

Whilst it isn't as compatible as UAE (I've heard it's a stripped down UAE made for speed) it ran Turrican I+II, Moonstone, Wings, Lotus, SuperCars II and many other hits perfectly on low-end systems:
In the year 1999 I could play Turrican II at 50fps (@100Hz monitor refresh rate), no frameskip and 22050 kHz stereo sound (44100 kHz would've been possible, too, I guess) on my Pentium I with 133MHz!

There are ports of this DOS-emulator for Windows, Linux and Mac (WinFellow, XFellow, etc.), so I guess it's open source, isn't it? And it doesn't seem to be specifically designed for x86-processors and thus worthless for PSP (I hope).

@Chilly Willy: Even though maybe 30-40% of the games don't work with Fellow couldn't some of its elements be incorporated into the new and improved PSPUAE (maybe as additional not-so-compatible-but-very-fast mode)?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:43:05 PM by john4p »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

Hmmm, this is going off on a tangent, can we all wait for the NEW BETA.
Resolute and Industrious
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022