Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Level Design Inspiration  (Read 7766 times)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
Level Design Inspiration
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:43:58 PM »

I've started working on my Bloodwych - Book of Skulls levels again, inspired by people working on Chaos Engine and Dungeon Master level sets across the place.

I'm always looking for inspiration for map design, puzzles, "concepts"  etc to keep it interesting. I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a "theo van doesburg design for a bloodwych level"

see here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Theo_van_Doesburg_design_for_a_tiled_floor.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/06/Theo_van_Doesburg_design_for_a_floor.jpg

i saw this at an exhibition a few months back, the  "van doesburg design for a tiled floor" and chuckled to myself that it looked like a Bloodwych level. i probably wont use much of it, but maybe a bit in the Chaos Tower or something.

but i was wondering, does anyone else have any ideas for such things i might encorporate into a map? be it inspiration for wall layouts, mazes based on actual real-world mazes, or puzzles based on the fibbanci sequence (!!! why didnt i think of that before?!?)

post here if you have any grand ideas you think i should be using!
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
Re: Level Design Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

mazes?  .. how about them over the top mazes that you solve with a pencil?  :D

Torico

• A600
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »

Yikes, that's some intense mapping that artist did lol, could be cool.  The originality of your other towers is excellent, so you have the creative mind for it for sure.  I think we got to the moon tower but there were no items in the level, not sure been a while.  I'll have to see if I can think up any ideas, glad to see you're back to the action.   :)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »

still cramming in some small edits to this during my lunchbreaks. I have even fixed a few bugs and made some minor improvements to the editor!!

the real trouble is testing the damn levels takes *so* long, and it really needs to be done with a pen and paper so you can mark down all the incorrect objects etc.

if any one wants to help, please let me know, but i imagine the really keen BW fans would rather wait until the full level-set is done! i'm on the Dragon Tower (4 of 6) at the moment, but havent worked on it for a month or so.
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022