Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help in graphics and cut scene :(  (Read 4327 times)

xboxisfinished

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
    • gamemakermagazine.com
Help in graphics and cut scene :(
« on: January 16, 2016, 09:04:42 PM »

Hello,

I want to make an in-game cut scene but my problem is the graphics department and I wondering if someone can help me on the graphics side for the cut scene. Another thing I want to ask, how do I make a cut scene where if the character is walking it scrolls the screen with the plotted bobs appropriately?

Thanks in advance.

SamuraiCrow

• compile-time wierdo
  • Forum Mod
  • A1200
  • Compile-time wierdo
Re: Help in graphics and cut scene :(
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »

Which scrolling method are you using?

xboxisfinished

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
    • gamemakermagazine.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:01:30 AM »

Which scrolling method are you using?

I was thinking of reading the cut scene from a file...then it scrolls left to right or right to left depending on the character walking. I want it to be like 2D platform scrolling...for the cut scene.

SamuraiCrow

• compile-time wierdo
  • Forum Mod
  • A1200
  • Compile-time wierdo
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 08:34:09 AM »

Tiles?  Blitter based?  A big bitmap?

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »

yep, if its a bitmap and you can limit it to 1024 pixels wide, you can just use screen offset.

Otherwise you'll need to use a more sophisticated method using screen display and screen copy i think.

On either, i'd image you'll just use animated bobs overlayed?
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

xboxisfinished

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
    • gamemakermagazine.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 06:45:08 PM »

Tiles?  Blitter based?  A big bitmap?

I was thinking the background will be tiles and the characters will be bobs using paste bob perhaps..or bob itself not paste bob (since have paste bob means I need to paste the new bob in the new location and will leave ghosting on the previous location which would make me check what tiles on the previous location and paste that. Messy coding).  I am thinking of a big map say 256 X 256 or something like that...to allow me to scroll at ease.

Otherwise you'll need to use a more sophisticated method using screen display and screen copy i think.

On either, i'd image you'll just use animated bobs overlayed?

What if I wanted to use a more sophisticated method and would like to use large screen for scrolling up, down, left, right how do I go about doing that with using screen display and screen copy. Yes, I will be using animated bobs.

SamuraiCrow

• compile-time wierdo
  • Forum Mod
  • A1200
  • Compile-time wierdo
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 07:26:43 PM »

An 8 way scroller in AmosPro is hard to do efficiently and will require careful consideration.  I assume you mean 256 tiles by 256 tiles?  How big is each tile, 16 by 16 pixels?

xboxisfinished

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
    • gamemakermagazine.com
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:54:25 AM »

An 8 way scroller in AmosPro is hard to do efficiently and will require careful consideration.  I assume you mean 256 tiles by 256 tiles?  How big is each tile, 16 by 16 pixels?

Yes it is 16 by 16. Well not necessarily 256 x 256...I want a cut scene where like r-type scrolling...but you can scroll left and right not just right to left like r-type based on where the character is moving. My issues is I don't want to write hundreds and hundreds and hundreds lines of code for the cutscene...I do not have enough AMOS buffer to do that and makes the executable file large and very slow process and time consuming to write the scene in AMOS BASIC code. I want to write an engine that reads the script on file and the file have the list of events on what to do. I want then to write an external separate program in the game editor where I can click the script and save it as a script file...like click and play of writing the script.

You can see now it is getting seriously complicated. I am also thinking the game editor to write my own camera engine where it focus on the object of choice by the user (in the editor) and when it focus on that object and if that object movies it scrolls the camera (i.e, screen) appropriately.  Of course in the scene side editor I will have another command that focus on a different object and instantly the camera (screen) is focused on that object and scrolls when ever that object movies. So I need to write my own construction set.

Is my approach correct? Because I want to avoid as much as possible for my code to be hi-wired and everything it can read from file for my scene and for my all game levels, designs, etc.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:03:37 AM by xboxisfinished »

SamuraiCrow

• compile-time wierdo
  • Forum Mod
  • A1200
  • Compile-time wierdo
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:39:25 AM »

@xboxisfinished
Most of the scrolling routines in Amos aren't optimal for tile scrolling.  I've wanted to write a shared library that would tile scroll and do BOBs on those screens.  I don't have the time but I can give you some reference material.  See http://aminet.net/package/dev/src/ScrollingTrick for some HTML documentation and C source code that shows how to do optimal tile scrolling.

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:37:17 PM »

Save some work and use TOME for tile scrolling?

I would love to try write some code for this but I don't think I have the time tbh
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022